Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Metabolic Benefits of HIIT Revisited

In my post a few weeks ago, Metabolic Benefits of HIIT Workouts, which can be found here, I made a few edits to the Wikipedia page about high intensity interval training that I thought were beneficial.

I was curious to see if my edits have been maintained over the past few weeks, so I took a look at the page. I found that it was reverted back to the original text, which reads:
HIIT significantly lowers insulin resistance compared to continuous training or control conditions and leads to modestly decreased fasting blood glucose levels and increased weight loss compared to those who do not undergo a physical activity intervention.Another study found that HIIT was more effective than moderate-intensity continuous training at fasting insulin levels (31% decrease and 9% decrease, respectively).
I think that while my revised version of this paragraph provided a more baseline explanation of how HIIT effects the metabolism, this edit is nuanced and advanced. I focused on metabolism as a whole, but this paragraph really hones in on insulin and glucose. I think that it is a more focused and scientific explanation, while mine was more generalized.

I strongly urge you to read my previous post and the Wikipedia page about high intensity interval training, and you will be itching to get your next HIIT workout in!

Until next time,
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview

This week I got the chance to interview a personal trainer, Nick Marasco. He was able to provide amazing insight into the fitness world.  ...